Friday, January 4, 2013

What do you need to teach your employees?

I have mentioned watching Restaurant Stakeout in  a previous post. One of the things that amazes me when I watch that show is the lack of training that some of the owners give to their employees.

I should back up a little and tell you that I don't like "reality" TV! I also don't like it when people use quotation marks in the wrong place....like when they sign their name on a card...."Missy"...why would you do that?  It's my name...why should it have quotes around it?  ...but I digress... when it comes to reality TV it needs to have quotes around it cause it isn't really..well...REALITY!  Anyway...I don't believe that the people don't know what is going on...I mean...if you worked somewhere every day - don't you think you would notice...and mention it if one day you came to work and there were cameras around? I know they are supposed to be hidden, but sometimes it seems like they are not.  Also....you have to get a release to put someones picture or face on TV - so for the people who are being shown as total losers and possibly even fired and their faces aren't blurred out..that means that they signed a release. Would you do that if you were just shown in that light on film? I wouldn't unless I was being paid...Ok...I digress even further - I just wanted to make sure that you all know that I don't believe that the show is totally real.

If you are going to open a restaurant - you need to have a business plan - I think you probably have to have a business plan just to get financing for your business so part of your plan should be that you are going to run the business successfully and make money at it. In order to do that - your employees have to be trained.

We have established why training is so important - let's start talking about how you will decide what you are going to teach to your team.

If your business is a restaurant or retail store - you will have to teach some of the following:

  • How to operate your register system
  • How to ring up merchandise - or take a guest's order
  • How to interact with the guest/consumers
  • What are their other responsibilities when there aren't customers to wait on?
For restaurants - all of the above plus...
  • Safe food handling
    • Hand washing
    • Cleanliness
    • Allergy information
    • Time-Temperature control
    • Avoiding cross-contamination
  • How to prepare ingredients
  • How to prepare menu items
  • How to up-sell or suggestive sell
  • What is on the menu - how is it prepared
This is a partial list - but it is like 1000 lawyers chained together at the bottom of the ocean...a good start!

If you are playing along at home - it is time to sit down and think about all the jobs for which you will have to hire people.  Register operators, a chef, hostess, janitor, servers, cooks, food prep people, managers, trainers....think about it...put that list together - then start building a list of what responsibilities each of those people will have. That will start you on your way to creating a good training system

See you soon!

Training is not a one - time event - it is an ongoing journey...Learn it...Live it...Pass it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment