Saturday, January 12, 2013

Took a short break...I'm back

Sorry...had to be away a night for work and I just didn't get to posting anything.  I had some good training experiences that last couple days that I want to share. There are so many times that we see negative or bad situations - I like to focus on the good things when they happen...it gives me hope that things can change.  Yesterday I went to work in a restaurant that has a great team. They aren't perfect, but they are so nice to work with. They are very receptive to any coaching and training that I offer them.  The one guy even told me I was a great trainer!  That really made my day!!  I showed him a better way to do a task he was working on and he came up to me later and said...'that really did work better..thanks for teaching me that'.  That is what I love the most about training!  When the light bulb goes off..when the trainee gets it and sees the benefit of the training.  I also had a good visit with a new manager who is just finishing training and is being certified.  It was a good day. On my way home I received a phone call from a co-worker asking me to take on project of helping with training in a troubled store. They lost their General manager a couple weeks ago and the district manager is having to run shifts to cover for the lack of management. I was happy to see that the store isn't in as much trouble as they could be. The DM has hired a bunch of people and since he can only be in the store a couple days a week- I told him I would come in on some of the days that he can't be there and help with training the new people.  I love taking on these special projects.  It is a great way to help the company, build good working relationships with team members and managers and practice my training skills.  It is a great way to stay sharp on what is going on in the restaurants on a day to day basis.

We have so much more to talk about - setting up training systems and learning how to execute them bur for now I just want to bask in the warm glow of the Ravens win over Denver while drinking a cup of tea and relaxing.

Your mission - should you choose to accept it - think about some great training experiences you have had - either being trained or doing the training.  Write them down and take some notes that can help you in the future...ask yourself these questions:

  1. Why was it a great training experience?
  2. What did you or the trainer do differently that helped you to learn or teach?
  3. How did it make you feel?
  4. What can you do to capture that feeling again when you are doing the training?
  5. Will your favorite football team be going to the Super Bowl this year....LOL...sorry...I have just grown into such a Ravens fan I couldn't resist - on the next round!
The weekend is a great time to relax and renew!


Training is not a one - time event - it is an ongoing journey...Learn it...Live it...Pass it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment